Cane Ball, also known as Chinlone, is Myanmar’s (Burma’s) traditional national sport. It’s a non-competitive game with six players on one team.
The players, on the other hand, are walking around the circle in chinlone, with one player in the middle. It’s a sport that starts with a C character. The game’s goal is to keep the ball aloft as much as possible while passing it back and forth in the most inventive manner.
History of Cane Ball
For nearly 1,500 years, Chinlone has been a significant part of Myanmar. Since it was first developed as a demonstration of activity for entertaining Burma’s royal family, its design is performance-based.
Another reason why the technique is so important in Chinlone is that it is heavily influenced by traditional Burmese martial arts and dance. Several British influences and cultural habits, such as those of British sports like cricket and polo, lingered after Myanmar gained independence from British colonial rule in 1948. Burmese life was still dominated by British colonialism and culture. In the 1960s, the government began to promote traditional and historical preservation as a means of restoring native cultural pride.
In 1953, the Burmese government ordered U Ah Yein, the head of the Burma Athletic Association, to prepare a Chinlone rulebook.
Because of these restrictions, chinlone grew more competitive, and the inaugural official Chinlone tournament was held in Yangon the following year.
There are also related many sports that start with C like Camel Racing, Cammag, Camel Jumping, Cycling, Car Ice Racing, Chess Boxing, Carom Billiards, and Cricket
A short history of Cane Ball
A short history of the Cane Ball or Chinlone has given below.
- Cane ball, also known as sepak takraw, is a traditional sport that originated in Southeast Asia, particularly in Malaysia, Thailand, and Indonesia. It is believed to have been played for more than 500 years.
- The game is played with a woven ball, similar to a large wickerwork shuttlecock, which is usually made of rattan or synthetic materials. Players use their feet, knees, chest, and head to hit the ball over a net, similar to volleyball.
- Cane ball was originally played as a leisure activity among village communities, but it has since grown into a popular competitive sport in Southeast Asia and beyond. The first international cane ball tournament was held in 1949 between Malaysia and Thailand.
- Today, cane ball is played in many countries around the world, and it has even become a recognized sport in the Asian Games.
- It continues to be a beloved pastime and an important cultural tradition in Southeast Asia, with many communities preserving and promoting the sport through local competitions.
Rules of Cane Ball
The rules of cane ball, known as sepak takraw, are as follows
- The game is played with two teams of three players each on a court divided by a net.
- The objective of the game is to hit the ball over the net and into the opponent’s court without allowing the ball to touch the ground.
- Each team is allowed three touches to return the ball, with the exception of the service, which is allowed only one touch.
- Players are not allowed to use their hands or arms to touch the ball. They may use any other part of their body, including their feet, knees, chest, and head.
- Points are awarded to the team that successfully hits the ball into the opponent’s court, and the game is typically played to 21 points.
- If the ball touches the ground or goes out of bounds. The opposing team is awarded a point and the serve.
- The ball may be hit with any part of the body, but it must be hit cleanly and may not be caught or carried.
- Players may not touch the net during play, and a player may not touch the ball twice in a row.
- The game is typically played in three sets, with the team winning two out of three sets being declared the winner.
- In case of a tie at 20-20, the game continues until one team wins by two points.
How do you play a cane ball?
The top of the toes, the bottom of the foot, the instep and outstep of the foot, the heel, and the knee are all important points of contact with the ball.
After the ball has touched the ground, play resumes as a new round, with some of the most difficult moments being performed “blindly” with the ball behind your back.
What is Chinlone made of?
The ball made from rattan, a material utilized to make baskets, is referred to as a Chinlone in Burmese. Two teams, each with six players, compete in the game.
What are the benefits of playing chinlone?
When performing numerous movements and tricks with the ball, chinlone players must keep their balance and coordination.
In other sports and physical activities, these abilities may be applied to improve balance and coordination.
During the competition, it was given its own event, and during the closing ceremony, it was included.
Since other countries were not properly prepared to participate in a distinctively Burmese sport, the inclusion of chinlone was contentious.